As OpenMined continues to grow we are excited to announce the OpenMined Operations Team!
The mission of the Operations Team is to empower other OpenMined teams and sub-teams with the processes, documentation, tools, and support to function efficiently. We are collaborative facilitators helping other contributors further OpenMined’s mission to make the world more privacy-preserving by lowering the barrier-to-entry to private AI technologies.
This is a great way to use your skillset to help the open-source privacy community without needing to write any code!
The Operations Team will function in these key areas:
- Organisation Optimization — The broadest priority of the Operations Team is to capture issues, opportunities to help the OpenMined operate more efficiently. Practically speaking, we will keep a running list of items to be addressed across all of the teams. For example, if a team is having a challenge finding a meeting time for 6 people and need to find a better method for scheduling, the Operations team can research solutions, document the process, and help roll that process out across the necessary teams. We will keep a running list of opportunities and prioritize each one accordingly.
- Budget Management — OpenMined operates only because of the generosity of our donors. As stewards of their funds, it is our responsibility to keep track of donations coming in and allocate those funds in an impactful way. To do this successfully, we must keep track of donations, how we are spending that money (primarily by funding contributors), and forecast the spend accordingly.
- Contributor Payments — We must administer payments to the contributors helping our mission be successful. With a documented process in place, we will administer payments monthly, continually auditing our process and updating it accordingly. We will work directly with contributors to gather the information we need to process payments. We will also continue to monitor emerging payment options to ensure successful payments to contributors across the globe.
- Foundation Administration Support — OpenMined currently facilitates donations and payments through other non-profit foundations. The Operations Team helps coordinate any logistics around donations, payments, and documentation with the third party foundations.
- Team Check-Ins — To ensure we are supporting other teams across the organisation, we will have periodic check-ins with other OpenMined teams to understand what they are building and any potential bottlenecks that we could help eliminate.
- Meeting Optimization — as a fully remote organisation with multiple teams operating concurrently, it is crucial to have our teams operating efficiently towards the common mission. One component of the Operations Team is to help facilitate weekly recurring meetings through either helping team leads facilitate meetings or to train team leads on OM meeting best practices.
What you bring to the table
We are looking for collaborative, team-oriented volunteers to help support our mission. Because our team exists to solve problems for others, we value problem solving and collaboration most. We are seeking individuals with skills, experience, and attributes in the following areas (we don’t need each individual to possess all of these):
- Process management — help define and maintain process consistency
- Project management
- A background in bookkeeping and accounting
- Advanced spreadsheet skills
- IP and non-profit law
- Resourceful and flexible
- Data-driven -- ability to develop and maintain the organisation's key performance indicators (KPIs)
Would you like to join?
If you are motivated to learn and contribute, please leave your info in the following form and we will reach out to you.